Diverge Networks
Making the years count (LawRP suggestion) - Printable Version

+- Diverge Networks (https://divergenetworks.com/forums)
+-- Forum: 1980s Mafia Roleplay (https://divergenetworks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://divergenetworks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Accepted (https://divergenetworks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+---- Thread: Making the years count (LawRP suggestion) (/showthread.php?tid=1264)

Making the years count (LawRP suggestion) - Cocohop - 04-24-2021

Hello, it is your favourite chief judge back with another good suggestion.
Those of you who are active in the court discord have noticed that there is a new way to file plea deals. These deals are saved with a simple command to a database alongside court orders and filings. This means that any time someone is charged and convicted (via plea deal or a court order) we can know exactly how many years that person has served in prison.
Now, this means that we can make the 45 year PK timer incremental and not all at once. E.G: Pendred was caught for possession of narcotics and accepted a plea deal for 5 years. His remaining PK timer would be 40 years, so if he was convicted or accepts a plea deal for 40 years he will be PK'd as 5+40 = 45.

Advantages:
- Makes jail time a lot more meaningful than a simple "Will I become a felon, get PK'd or just waste time?"
- Makes plea deals more impactful. As of yet, there is no difference between a 40 year and a 10 year plea deal if I become a felon anyway, I'd just be wasting 30 minutes of my time watching Youtube.

Disadvantages: 
- Makes criminals easier to PK. This is an advantage for LEOs and a disadvantage for the rest.

Thoughts?

RE: Making the years count (LawRP suggestion) - McDouble - 04-24-2021

I don't think that's a good idea. Law enforcement regularly gives people bullshit charges to try and scare them into cooperating. If there was actually some accountability in the process and charges were accurate, this would make sense. But I've seen people get like 50+ years for illegal weapon distribution because extra charges were added on. If they did add this, I also think that 45 years should be raised. Realistically, plenty of people live longer than 65-70 years in jail.

RE: Making the years count (LawRP suggestion) - Cocohop - 04-25-2021

(04-24-2021, 07:53 PM)McDouble Wrote: I don't think that's a good idea. Law enforcement regularly gives people bullshit charges to try and scare them into cooperating. If there was actually some accountability in the process and charges were accurate, this would make sense. But I've seen people get like 50+ years for illegal weapon distribution because extra charges were added on. If they did add this, I also think that 45 years should be raised. Realistically, plenty of people live longer than 65-70 years in jail.

You raise good points. IRL, Law Enforcement do regularly give people BS charges as well to scare them into accepting a plea deal. Now, as of right now if you are charged with 30 years there's no point accepting a 10 year plea deal. It's best to just fight it in court and hope for the best. Best case scenario you get off scot free, worst case scenario you spend 20 more minutes in jail than expected.
With the new system, a 10 year plea deal reduces your PK timer to 35 years while the 30 year sentence reduces it to 15. Meaning that it might be a good idea to accept a plea deal rather than risk the heavy sentence.
Hope this clarifies things.

RE: Making the years count (LawRP suggestion) - Baldrick - 04-28-2021

Criminals are still pretty easy to PK, you shoot a cop and you will most likley get PK'ed

RE: Making the years count (LawRP suggestion) - Rem - 05-02-2021

Criminals are supposed to be scared of police. Seems as people have forgotten that they shouldn't be messing with police and shooting them.

RE: Making the years count (LawRP suggestion) - Pendred - 10-19-2021

This is something that would need to be implemented through IC change.