Diverge Networks
Shrimps - Staff Application - Printable Version

+- Diverge Networks (https://divergenetworks.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Community Management (https://divergenetworks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Staff Applications (https://divergenetworks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Forum: Accepted (https://divergenetworks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Thread: Shrimps - Staff Application (/showthread.php?tid=1465)

Shrimps - Staff Application - shrimps - 05-23-2021

In-Game Name(s): James Tormod MacLeod, William ‘Bill’ Barclay.
Steam Name: shrimps
Steam Profile Link: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198119488700/
Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:79611486
Discord Username: xe#7071
Total playtime on Server (Do !time in-game): 1w 6h 24m. 
Time Zone: EST
How much time can you realistically dedicate to moderating?: As an Aerospace Engineering student, I have a lot on my plate during certain times of the year, however as an insomniac, I usually have a solid 4-8 hours a day where I can do whatever is needed.
Have you read the rules?: Yes.
Do you have a working microphone?: Yes
Do you acknowledge that you must attend all staff meetings (Unless you have stated why you cannot beforehand): Yes.
Are you familiarized with SAM and/or Nutscript commands?: Yes.
Do you acknowledge that lying on this application will result in immediate denial and blacklisting from staff?: Yes.
-------------------------------------------------
Long Answer
Questions proceeded with an asterix require a response of 5 Sentences Minimum.

What is your motivation/reason for applying?:  *

It doesn’t take long for anybody with my level of experience to begin to notice the specific issues that create problems for the server and community therein, and as a result, it is difficult to sit idly by while fellow members of the community bicker and complain while the issues persist. I believe that it is well within my power to improve the community, and I feel that I should endeavor to do so. As a faction leader, my instincts always drive me to do what is best for the members of my faction at every opportunity, and being a staff member is no exception. To elaborate on this, a lesser individual might take advantage of a staff position to unfairly rule in favor of certain individuals or whatnot, however I believe that what’s best for me, and my faction, also happens to be what’s best for everyone; to be a good and fair staff member, which in turn creates a healthy and enjoyable environment for my faction to exist within. Simply put, I want the server to be better, as I believe it can be with my assistance.

Why should you be considered over other candidates?:  *

I am first and foremost an engineer, somebody who identifies and solves problems, and I’m quite good at it. I am most useful to the community when I’m in a position to solve larger, fundamental issues, rather than the menial player disputes as a moderator would typically deal with, but the horse comes before the carriage. For example, in my time as staff, and eventually an RP manager on MP (1.0), I completely rewrote the rules regarding roleplay and the gameplay it encompasses, and what spurred me to write this application was several members from that community commenting on how effective my changes were. There is a logical and optimal solution to every problem presented to this community and staff team, and there are few people more suited to solving them than myself.

Additionally, pending the acceptance of this application, the first item I’d like to tackle is the RP related rules on the server, and restructuring them to enhance gameplay, with the help of other relevant members of the staff team. 

Do you have any previous staffing experience? (Please list where, what position and how long):

Only going to list the most relevant ones, as I have about 10,000 hours in gMod and listing every staff position I’ve had would take ages.

DigitalDeltaGaming DarkRP - Superadmin
DigitalDeltaGaming PrisonRP - Superadmin 
Diamond Gaming MilitaryRP - Developer / Superadmin
Garnet Gaming MilitaryRP - Gamemaster Director 
Garnet Gaming StarWarsRP - Superadmin 
Valken Networks MilitaryRP - Gamemaster Director
Mobster’s Paradise MafiaRP - Administrator / RP Co-Manager

Have you been banned before on any of our servers? If so, why?: N/A.

Would you say that you are well known in our community, what's your reputation, what do other members think of you?:  *

While I haven’t made a distinctive effort to become a well known character in the community, there are many who know me and have had interactions with me both pleasant and unpleasant. As a person who doesn’t like to brag upon the remarks of others, I will leave it to them to make their opinions of me known in this thread. That being said, there was an occurrence relating to this topic, and it is the reason I came to this server in the first place. Several weeks ago, yort, a friend and old member of the MacLeod Firm messaged me to tell me how he had restarted the faction here on Diverge with a few of the other original members. I handed him the keys to the faction and wished him luck in the endeavor, as I wasn’t entirely interested in participating again at that time, so I merely sat in the shadows and advised him as necessary. Over time, more and more members of the faction who knew me reached out, asking me to return to the Firm and lead once more, noting how valuable my wisdom was to the success of the faction. After a little more nudging, I gave in, and was given leadership based purely on my credibility as a leader. 

Have any staff members recommended you? If so, list their names:
N/A.
-------------------------------------------------
Problem Solving
Detail step by step exactly the actions you would take.

Someone RDMs and you are currently off-duty. How do you handle this?:

The first step in any problem is to assess the situation at hand. In this case, a player is dead. The next step would be to determine if the victim in this situation filed a ticket, and if there are any staff available to take the ticket. If there is a staff on and capable of taking the ticket, I would aim to continue the RP, however should no staff be able to take the ticket, I would find a spot to step away from whatever roleplay I’m involved in and go on-duty to address the ticket. After reviewing relevant logs and bringing both parties to an OOC location should the suspect not be facing consequences already in RP, I would then evaluate the provided evidence and attempt to determine a clear perspective of the situation and all relevant factors. If it was a classic RDM situation with zero RP or conflict escalation, the perpetrator will face the prescribed consequences. 

You have seen a fellow staff member of higher or equal rank than you abusing fairly often, but never doing anything too noticeable. What do you do?:

In leadership positions outside of gMod, such as in the workplace, something I’ve learned is that confrontation between leaders in front of the people being led does terrible things to morale, as it acts as an open disclaimer that there is conflict within the team. In order to avoid open confrontation, I would make it a task to collect evidence of abuse silently, and then bring my case to a higher up once a reasonable amount of evidence to support the accusation, all the while avoiding the petty slandering of staff members in OOC chats and Discord. Patience is a virtue in a situation like this.

A very good friend of yours joins the server. Over the course of an hour, you’ve received multiple complaints about them not following rules, RDM’ing, and minging. How do you proceed knowing this can affect your friendship with them?:

I actually had to deal with that recently on this server. A friend of mine and other members in my faction had joined the server recently out of curiosity, because a bunch of us had been playing. While we tried to help get him on the right course and orient him with the server, some people have a hard time getting into character at first and taking things seriously. With any minge, whether they’re my friend or not, my first avenue of approach is to attempt to rehabilitate them and welcome them into the RP environment, and teach them how to play the game. I prefer the carrot, but sometimes you have to give them the stick. Minges who are demonstrating zero intent to change their behavior should be met with the appropriate punishments. 
---------------------------------------------------------

RE: Shrimps - Staff Application - Swigs - 05-23-2021

+1, I've known shrimps for a very long time and he is a very reliable member when put in a position of power where he can make changes for the better. Good luck.

RE: Shrimps - Staff Application - robert - 05-23-2021

+1 OG and a great fit for the staff team

RE: Shrimps - Staff Application - yort - 05-23-2021

+1 I haven't seen a brain and a man taller than this one. He's very experienced and honestly is over-qualified than any other applicant.

RE: Shrimps - Staff Application - Baldrick - 05-23-2021

+1 Seems like a capable staff member.

RE: Shrimps - Staff Application - JimmyPenis - 05-23-2021

+1 Ive had a few interactions with this guy in RP and I have nothing but good things to say about him. Whether it be in RP or just in Diverge General he has been nothing but helpful, respectful and thoughtful. This guy knows how to solve problems and he knows how to RP properly and would make a fantastic gamemaster and staff member.

Shrimps - Staff Application - Pendred - 05-23-2021

Thank you for applying to the Diverge Networks staff team!
It is my pleasure to inform you that your application has been accepted.

Contact myself or another member of Management on Discord for training and to get setup.