Diverge Networks
Pager Enhancements - Printable Version

+- Diverge Networks (https://divergenetworks.com/forums)
+-- Forum: 1980s Mafia Roleplay (https://divergenetworks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://divergenetworks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Accepted (https://divergenetworks.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+---- Thread: Pager Enhancements (/showthread.php?tid=5786)

Pager Enhancements - Pulsewalker - 05-09-2023

The pager update has been a very interesting one. UA is going in the direction of making Discord less of the 'go-to' for in-game communication. I think this is a fantastic structure for what's going on so far, but in the spirit of helping to improve these things, I'd like to suggest a couple of things that might help to improve it.

• Discord Notifications: Currently, the pager allows you to link your Discord to the pager so that you can get notifications of your messages in real time, even when you aren't in game. This is great, but all it tells you is the character that you received the message on.

I believe the notification could benefit from more information from the game to allow the notifications to have a bit more of a unique message to them. For example, instead of just giving a character name, perhaps the notification could go something along the lines of:

Pager Notification
    You received a new pager message!

Recipient: Jinn "Dusk" Xiuhcoatl
    Subject: About the Garrison

• Empty Trash: From what I could see on the pager, there was no way to empty out your trash of all items at the same time. I think this would help with clearing out unneeded files quickly.

• Group Messaging: I think, right now, one of the biggest weaknesses of the pager is the lack of getting notifications out to a lot of people at once. I think if we want to do a full pivot into using the pager in-game, it'd be good to be able to do announcements or management discussions while messaging multiple people at once.

• Message History: To go hand-in-hand with the above point, message history has been a staple of e-mails for a very long time. Up to a certain character limit, showing the history of the messages among the people writing to one another would be a great feature.

This would also help with remembering what was spoken about before, or in the event of it serving as an IC communication to show staff, it can be a very easy way of checking a lot of a conversation without needing to click through 6+ pager messages.

I can give a better example of this if need be, but just think about sending emails and having it work very similar to that.

This is a preliminary list of a few hours with the system and I may likely have more suggestions on the horizon, but I really like the pager system and I want to see it succeed. With that in mind, I want to also help it improve. Thank you for your time!

RE: Pager Enhancements - Canadian-bacon - 05-09-2023

Notif: Meh, the point is to move messaging in-game and that detracts allowing people to possibly abuse the subject line. So no.
empty trash button: Good idea
Group messaging: I suggested something similar and we'll look into allowing a person to send multiple recipients in a line separated by a comma. ex: ID, ID, ID (2345, 67584, 89704)
Message history: A lot of work for something not super important. It's also technically not exactly email so this likely isnt worth doing.

RE: Pager Enhancements - Pulsewalker - 05-09-2023

I'll concede the notif thing, people probably could abuse it so that's fair.

That's also how I'd have gone about the group messaging, so I'm very happy to hear that's going forward.

As far as the message history goes, the way I would've personally gone about it is that when the reply button is clicked, the text box that pops after is automatically populated with the body of the email with a tiny bit of metadata above it and a few dashes to separate it from what you'd write at the top. If it's too much to program in, that is fine, I just wanted to suggest it for readability from both a player and staff standpoint.

Thank you for the swift reply!